Pin It

Monday, September 10, 2007

I Don't Know About Tomorrow

by Elaine Ingalls Hogg

Matthew 6:31, 33-34 - So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. (NIV)

On September 11th, 2001, the acts of a few individuals changed the way we in North America regard our world. In the weeks following this morbid desecration, terror lurked in the shadows of our thoughts, ready to pounce again when we least expected it. Our society changed, as fear and distrust reigned foremost in everybody's mind.

During yet another news program replaying the scenes of devastation from New York City, my phone rang. "Elaine, would you be able to help us out this morning? We need someone to play for the service at the senior's home."

When I arrived at the nursing home, the residents were lined up in their chairs, waiting expectantly. I ran my fingers over the keys. Oh no! The "sustain" button was stuck, and I cringed at the sound it made. Was there any ministry in this noise? Doing my best to ignore the sound, I began to play. When we were finished the hymns that the visiting pastor had chosen, an attendant asked if anyone had a favorite. A lady in the back asked if I knew number 558. "It's my favorite," she said.

I turned to the page and played the introduction. Cracked voices rose, filling the room with their melody. I knew that song. My mother used to sing it when I was a child. As these seniors sang, I paid close attention to the words: "Many things about tomorrow, I don't seem to understand. But I know who holds tomorrow and I know who holds my hand."

What a beautiful message they shared that morning as they sang. They knew a God who had been there for them through every trial in their past, and they knew that he was still there holding their hand now and during the uncertain days in the future.

Dear God, help us to rest in you. Although we may not know about tomorrow, we know that you will hold our hand. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by~! If you liked what you saw, let me know! Miranda

Previous Posts

Blog Archive